Tuesday, November 21, 2006

still nothing...

Everyone was surprised to see me at school again today. Well, sort of, I mean my due date is still 5 days away. But it could be anytime. It's funny, in my Bible reading I've been in Jeremiah and he mtnions a few times about this or that coming on 'suddenly, like the pains of a woman in labor". Well, we'll see.

Dr.s report... She is definetely lower, but everything is still closed up tight. He didn't say it won't happen this week, but he wouldn't be surprised to see us again next Monday. Our formerly little baby doesn't even fit on the screen anymore, and no average date measurements show up because she is bigger than the average 39 week Chinese baby, weighing in at about 7lbs 1 oz. He said that if we haven't had it by Monday we'd talk about induction...Thoughts and info? What's the standard waiting period at home to be induced? He is mostly concerned because he knows I don't want a c-section but the longer she stays in there, the bigger she gets... I was reading Heather's comments (friend from here in Taipei) and the hospitals she's looked into have a 40 week 2 day limit, and then they induce. Sorry, Heather, I don't know ShinGuang's official policy, but my doctor is ready to do it at 40 weeks 2 days, too, so... My doctor has been pretty accomodating with things like that, as far as enemas, rooming in, breastfeeding right afetr the birth...

Other questions for you pros out there:
1) to enema or not to enema... The Dr. said they usually do it, but if I don't want it they won't.
2) Chicken pox; we've had a major chicken pox epidemic at school. When it first broke out I looked it up quickly online and saw that after 20 weeks the baby should be fine, but then I checked the section in one of my books and it didn't give any time limits, so now I am a bit worried. Will my baby be born with chicken pox? I hope this doesn't freak people out or get me a huge lecture but we've had 20 kids (out of about 200) out with pox in the last two weeks. I think it's almost done, most of the kids are returning but we sent another one home today so... (in my defense, by the time I knew there was pox I had been exposed, because I teach every class, so I didn't knowingly expose myself...Another oops for the book.) And please be praying for a friend at school who has just recently announced her pregnancy...Not only has her daughter been home all week with chiken pox but she is also older and so there are already of risk factors in play.

Talk to you tomorrow!

9 comments:

Kat said...

Hey!

In Kaohsiung they let me go two weeks overdue! (which I think is unheard of in Canada...) And I did end up having a c-section. (Nate was on the verge of 10 lbs.) Don't know if that helps you at all, but a little food for thought. (And by the way, if you're going to have a section, Taiwan's the place to do it...I had a very quick recovery and I'm left with a tiny scar that is hardly there...)

Ok...enema...as far as I'm concerned it was one of the worst parts of the whole experience. If you can pass on it, I'd say pass. It gave me horrible cramps and kept me running to the bathroom for about a day. Not what you want to be dealing with when you're having contractions.

I think that's all I can help you with...I'm not sure about the chicken pox thing right now. (I'm at my mom's or I could check my text books for you...)

Hope you're feeling well...Just remember everyone's story of how their baby entered the world is different, but it makes no difference one she's here! That's all that will matter. I'm telling you, you pretty much forget everything you went through...all that you'll think about is her! And it's amazing... I'm so excited for you guys!

love, katrina

Anonymous said...

From what I've heard, the longest that they want to wait in Canada is 10 days past the due date. After that, they're afraid of the baby becoming too large.

I didn't get an enema - usually you're quite empty by the birth I think. The hormones tend to trigger diarrhea during the first part of labour. I did get a cathater to drain urine after I got the epidural because I could no longer leave the bed to go to the bathroom. By the way - if you get an epidural, the spot on your back could feel a little sore for a couple days - I wondered if that was normal and nurses said it was.

Allison said...

Everybody is so different. At RUH, they don't give enemas at all. And 10 days overdue is usually when they start talking induction. At four days over, my doctor accidently broke my water, otherwise we would have been booking for the following week. From what I've heard, induction is really no fun - better to wait a little longer and start naturally. On a personal note, as much as going overdue sucked, I think that some babies just need that extra time. Anywhere between 38 and 42 weeks is considered term. And a C-section wasn't even brought up with Jared, even though he was 9lbs, 5 oz. He was able to be helped out with the vaccum. And it's not always weight that determines that anyway. I think with sections it's more about the doctor than the place, as far as little incisions, etc. Jenn has the tiniest little scar, because she had a great doctor - there are a few here who are butchers. (Males, of course!)
And Kim's experience with the epidural was different than mine - they did do a "quick" catheter to empty my bladder every once in a while, but it didn't stay in. And I never felt where my epidural was - I had a REALLY GOOD anesthesiologist (however you spell that!!)
And the whole not starting to dialate thing is over-rated. I was at 1 cm for the last month of my pregnancy, and then stalled at 3 for a whole bunch of hours, and then sped from 3 to 8 in two hours and 8 to 10 in one hour. So you could be at zero right now, and go really fast tomorrow. Who knows? And by the way, you can call with news (any news, including leaving for the hospital, if you want) at any time of the day or night! I give you full permission to wake me up!! I love you, Nevada, and am so excited for you!!!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't induce unless it was safer for baby to be outside than inside. Since the dr.s here (Taipei) are so eager to induce (primarily for their convenience and love of medicating) I've done a lot of research on it and there are far too many risks that far outweigh any benefits. and also important to consider, what are their induction methods? check out www.motherfriendly.org under 'problems and hazards of induction of labor'. Thus far in my pregnancy and plethora of dr.s I've tried it seems to be very common for dr.s to put women on a very strict 'diet' so they don't have to deliver a big baby (which is considered more than about 7 1/2lbs). I don't believe a bigger baby is a justified reason in inducing. And yours is hardly big. Check out that website anyways and see what you think.

Heather

LJE said...

candace (ramage) epp was induced with her second one..he was about a week overdue, not terribly big. Not sure why the decision was made to induce, but everything went fine. She got to go home for a few hours for the first stages of labor, and then went in and had a pretty normal delivery, no negative effects on her or baby.

Anonymous said...

Both my babies were induced. William was born 11 days over and Matthew was 13 days over. Both were 9 and 1/2 lbs each and I would have liked them to induce a little sooner. Matthew slowed down on his kicking and when he finally came out the cord was around his shoulder. Good luck and best wishes.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to post as anonymous because the only person that knows this is my husband but if I have a second baby I would go for the enema! Right in the middle of pushing I realized too late that I had just pooped all over the delivery table and so they had to clean it all up and get me more sheets. I was SOO EMBARASSED that is ruined the whole delivery experience for me and I left the second they said I could.

Allison said...

I'm sorry that anonymous had that bad experience!! Honestly, that was a HUGE fear of mine going into the whole thing! It turned out that I didn't even think about it during the delivery. But if it makes you feel any better, I've talked to a couple of labour and delivery nurses, and they say it is very common to have that happen. My "solution" to my fear was to eat hardly anything once labour began. Lucky for me, I had a lot of time between water breaking and birth! And I had actually bought a water enema thing from the drugstore, with the fullest of intentions of using it, and then forgot it at home!

Anonymous said...

In Canada Auntie Linda was induced for both girls after 2 weeks past their due dates. She is smaller than you(Nevada). Lorranda was 8lbs and Tara was 7lbs 11 1/2ozs. So don't panic to have the baby induced too early as it better to do a natural birth without the inducing drugs.

Uncle Kim

Blog Archive