Thursday, February 05, 2009

Plan C, day 3

We did it! At least, a huge improvement from the last two nights. Your encouragement meant so much to me and inspired me to keep going, so thanks for taking time to comment.

Last night when I left the room she knew it was coming and what was going to happen. We did the come out, pick up, put her back in bed, "good night!" repeat routine for about 15 minutes, but it was much more calm. She knew what was up and didn't have the same fight. No running away, no tears, no needs. Half the time she would just walk out to where I was and stand there watching me, waiting for me to come and get her.

She did keep wanting the door open, so to avoid the panic hysteria of the last two nights I told her I would leave the door open as long as she stayed in her bed. She tested it a few times, but I was right there, and said, "OK, Gemma's not in bed, I'm closing the door" and she would leap right back in. She knew from the last two nights that I meant it. (She did creep out once to go to her doll bed and get a different baby, but she crept over and right back to bed so I didn't do anything.) This testing stage took about 5 minutes then for the next 20 minutes she lay in her bed; talking to her babies ('Hush, Hushhhhh, shhh', 'Don't worry baby'), trying to look at books beside her bed, and lots of tossing and turning. She drank some water, too: she gets now that she can reach her water by herself from her bed and can do it by herself. I sat on a stool by the door reading a book - ready to close the door if she got up. After 20 minutes of quiet laying in bed with me outside the door she did call out, "Mommy? Gemma freezing cold! I need blanket!" so I did go in and pull her duvet up, and left again and she was asleep in minutes.

So the length of time was the same, but there was a peace and calm there. I had 20 minutes of free time reading. No tears, no hysterics. Thank you Jesus!

So hopefully it continues. Have a great weekend all.

7 comments:

Shel said...

YAY!!!

She's learned the new boundaries and it should just keep getting easier. :)

Now do something to celebrate for you!

Trina said...

Way to go Mom! The hardest part is being strong and consistant, and feeling like you are a horible parent because of the screaming!
It should get easier as the nights, and weeks go by!

Allison said...

You are pretty much there! Of course, she will challenge you occasionally, but if you stay consistent in those times, you're good to go! And those challenges won't include the sobbing, etc., making it SO MUCH EASIER!!!

Heather said...

That's great, Nevada! I had some serious hysterics as well, but stuck with it as calmly as I possibly could and now we do our bedtime routine, I plop him into bed, and that's it. No more tears, begging, screaming or anything. It takes persistence and determination but it'll happen in the end. And don't get flustered if she has a set back in the coming days, just keep up what you're doing. Soon enough you'll be reading on the sofa!

BTW - so sweet how she's comforting her dolly's, I'd tear up for sure!

Heather said...

I meant 'dollies'...

i am the diva said...

Way to stick to your guns, Nevada!!! Good for you! you're doing great.

and she is such a little sweetheart, comforting her dollies like that. she'll be an awesome big sister.

Unknown said...

I love Gemma.

Blog Archive