Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Night sleeping and other random thoughts

It looks like we may have hit the sleeping through the night stage. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights she has slept for at least 6 hours. Nevada informed me today that babies get to a point where they sleep for 12 hours. We're not there yet but even the 6 hours stage is helping Nevada and I to get some much needed rest.

We're trying to get in a routine of putting her down at 10-10:30 which means we hit the hay right after that. That's been a big change for me. I'm 2-3 am kind of guy but now I can't even last past midnight. My eyelids close whether I like it or not. I'm a regular Joe now, up at 7 am and off to bed at 11 pm.

Gemma has definitely hit the barfing stage. About one out of every three meals comes back up. Nevada and I both get shaken up everytime she pukes. It looks like there is so much and that she'll for sure choke or something. It dooesn't seem to bother her much though. She just explodes and continues on with whatever she's doing. One of the fun things about all the spit up is that Gemma gets to display her whole wardrobe every couple days. Gemma likes to keep daddy busy doing laundry....anything for my little girl.

Lately I've been noticing that I'm becoming pretty skilled at doing everything with one hand. Gemma is often in one arm and that leaves only one hand to work with. I can coook, do laundry, make coffee, talk on the phone and take notes, write e-mails etc. But there are things that need to get done that I can't do while holding her...namely taking a shower and going to the bathroom (#2). Any advice out there, how can I do these things without Gemma feeling abandoned?

Lastly, Baba and Great Grandma are 4 days away...we're getting so excited!

3 comments:

Allison said...

Yeah, there are definitely some things that require putting a baby down for! I'd always put Jared in his bouncy/vibrating chair and stick him beside the tub/close to wherever I was doing whatever I needed to do. And the time does come (sooner than you think!) when Gemma will be able to sit on her own while you do most things. I've even stuck Jared in a laundry basket full of clean, warm clothes while I put new loads in! Now I use the exersaucer in the bathroom, otherwise he crawls around and gets into things he's not supposed to be in. His highchair also works well when he needs to be stationary while I do things (like work with the oven, which he loves to use to stand!) Hopefully that gives you some ideas for the next few stages!

Allison said...

Oh yeah - I'm pretty sure Jared never felt/feels abandoned, as I am always close by and talk to him constantly. The few moments a parent takes for him/herself won't erase the hours of trust-building love, cuddles, etc.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Aunty Yvonne Steinke was out to our place tonight for Kristen's 19th birthday supper. Her birthday is on the 4th. Anyways mom wants to have you give me a update on your grandma Shirley's arrival. Did she get there OK??? How does she feel??? What adventures you are going on??? And of course pictures of Great Grandma and Gemma......E-mail me at aburry_23@hotmail.com please anytime. Have a beautiful time with your mom and Grandma.....Take care.....Adele Burry Pease reply

Blog Archive