Monday, January 08, 2007

Meow!

I have met the dreaded colic monster, and lived to tell the tale... barely. Friday night and Saturday night were terrible, starting at about midnight with fits of unconsolable howling (from Gemma; Mommy's howling came later), the poor girl cried until she was gasping and hoarse. She would scream for 20 minutes until I comfort fed her, then sleep for 40 minutes. Repeat. Repeat. Saturday night was the worst, I didn't crawl into bed until 7am. Sunday night was good. Yesterday night she was awake a lot, from 1-5am, but no screaming so that was good. The Meow title of the story comes in from Saturday night about 2am. She was in the middle of a screaming fit, and I was holding her in her bedroom which backs onto a lot. She was howling so loudly that this cat started howling too. Then another. Then another, until there were about 6 cats in a serenade. Then the dogs started barking! It was like a creepy horror movie, I was waiting for them to claw at the windows or something. I know I shouldn't be embarrassed and I'm not really, I just know we are not making any friends in our building. All of you raising your babies in four walls of your very own be thankful!

We at our first bath in the big tub with mommy, and it was so fun. She likes the water so far, I think she is just interested in the new sensation. The funniest part to me was that she almost floats. I tried to hold her under her armpits and dunk her body down into the water (remember our bathtub is short but super deep) and her little bum and abdomen kept rising up to the surface. The second most funny part is that after we were done and Daddy was holding her in the towel and cuddling, and I was thinking to myself, we should get a diaper on her soon...(you an all guess where this is going, right?) You got it; pooville! Fortunately it was all contained bu the towel :)

She fell asleep all by herself just now on the boppy pillow. She usually sleeps by herself in the afternoon; I don't know why she is so restless at night. Maybe we need to turn all the lights ON at night and trick her.

3 comments:

Trina said...

Oh you guys, I feel so bad for you.
I told you before Matthew was colicy, and it is hell. I didn't realize how bad he was until like a year later, then I realized that I functioned on like 2-3 hours of sleep a night (I didn't get to nap during the day either because Harrison was 2). Sometime we just had to put Matthew in his crib (he was not going to get hurt there, and James would go outside for a smoke, and I would go to the bathroom and run the shower and turn on the sink taps for 10 minutes just for the quiet from the crying.
Unfortunatley, there is no real advise to be given with colic, just keep your cool and it will eventually get better. If you need 10 munutes away, take them, nothing is going to happen to her if you put her in her crib. Go out of the room and take some time to regroup and try again.
If she is good and calm and sleeps with you, you could try to put one of your pillows in her crib beside her, then she gets your smell and that may help.
Good luck and don't give up.
Lots of Love
Trina

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kat said...

Man, I'm sorry...I don't know if I was supposed to...if it was the intention of your blog or not, but I laughed a lot throughout that blog. Now, mind you, I'm not laughing at your situation...but your funny description of what happened...with the cats...and then dogs....and then floating....and then pooville. If there were blog awards I'd nominate this one.

On another train of thought...as bad as it may be (I've gotta admit...I never dealt with colic...Nate didn't cry until he was like 6 months, but man were we in for a shock after that!!!)...but ya, as bad as it may be...it won't last forever. It may seem like it's lasting forever at the time...but it'll pass.

And like Trina said, do what you need to do to take a break when you need it. Either the crib...or even a friend that can come over and stay with her for even an hour while you both get some air and a break.

I'll tell you...these years are all about stages...just when you think it couldn't get any worse, the stage changes...and sometimes it's better...sometimes it's more challenging...but no matter what, she'll always be your biggest blessing!

Our prayers are with you guys! love, katrina

PS - I just removed the previous blog because I had a typo...and I'm anal like that. In case you're wondering. ;o) love you guys!

Blog Archive