Sunday, January 25, 2009

Our progress




Potty progress: Today was a good day; we had a poop and a pee on the potty (two different potty times.) One was really good; we were at school and she said mommy poop! and so I said ok just wait we'll go to the potty, and we rushed over there...Usually she makes this announcement AFTER she has pooped but I thought I'd be a good sport and give her the benefit of the doubt. Good thing, because as soon as she was on the pot she did her business! Big celebration and of course a treat. And tonight she announced she needed the potty and sure enough did a pee. So I think she is starting to get it a bit. She REALLY likes treats, and so wants to sit on the potty and try to make things happen. She'll sit for a minute, push a bit, then look and see if anything happened. Then she'll sit and try again, then look and see:) I have to tell her not to push so hard; just be gentle and it will come but she is so eager to get something out so she can have a candy.

The Hello Kitty bribe is not working so well. The last two nights she has just resigned herself, and offered up the kitty: "Mommy, take away kitty. Come lay down!" Nice to know my presence is worth more than a little plastic kitty, but what about my bribe? I am trying sitting up by her bed, instead of laying in her bed, so we'll see.

Some pictures: Here is Gemma at Din Tai Fung, a world famous dumpling place we went to for Tom's mom Judy's birthday (She is here visiting and fit us in her schedule! How awesome.) The wait staff was actually singing to Judy in the picture but looking at Gemma, show stealer! Sorry, Judy :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

When I was trying to get Atticus to go to bed without me laying down he'd have all his "lightning mcqueen' cars (big stuffed one, 2 little dinky car ones, and a medium size battery operated one) tucked in with him. I'd kneel beside the bed, say our prayers, kiss everyone goodnight and say I'd be back in a few minutes to check on him. If he got out of bed I'd put him back in and I'd tell him that he could only have his cars if he stayed in bed, and then I'd kiss everyone again, say I'd come back and check on him in a few minutes, and leave.

So wouldn't you know he'd come out and throw every car at me (literally at me) and say, 'Don't want. Lay down, mommy!'

Smarty pants.

Andy Wu said...

"Mommy, take away kitty. Come lay down!"
Aww! Gemma says the cutest things.
"Come in!"

Trina said...

Breaking the habit of laying with them is such a hard one to do.

Matthew used to get up and sneak into our room and craw in with us. It took about a weeek of hard nights and not breaking down to break it. I literally had to just say "No, you sleep in your big boy bed all by yourself like a big boy" and take him to his room and let him cry it out, sometimes several times in the night. It was so hard, but so worth it.

When he was two or so, we put stickers on his callendar if he had a good night, and when he got a 5 stickers he got a prize. It was a good visual reminder and he never got a reward until he earned one.

It is so hard to break a habit that you started, and only you can do it.

As for the potty training, I was very lazy with Harrison too. I had so many excuses as to why he wasn't ready. Then I used the excuse, well with the new baby I don't want him to regress, then it was summer and we were traveling the whole summer. It was way easier to make excuses than to train him. When we started though, we just did it, it took 2 weeks for him to be fully trained. I also decided that he is a little kid, and if there was no bathroom available, that outside by a tree works just as well. True it is easier for him to pee outside because he was a boy, but I wouldn't care either way. Janna squated behind Val and holds his knees so he is up off the ground and could pee outside when he was learning. I never trained Matthew, Mom and James did it over Christmas when Mom was visiting us for a week when he was a year and a half, so he was super easy for me.

You just have to do what works for you.

Good luck on both new chalenges.