Monday, October 30, 2006

Crib Q&A

Today our general manager at school called me into his office and presented me with a HUGE box. Inside was our brand new crib matress and some sort of sleeping set. I havn't quite figured out the sleeping stuff yet, so I will let you know after closer examination. It did however come with bumper pads, so who can tell me what the deal with those are?

The problem, which leads into the question of the week, is this: the mattress is brand new from a nice Sears-esque type store, bought specially for us, made of a this top end foam stuff that feels cushy but not puffy. Its like a really stiff memory foam type thing thats about 2 inches thick. It fits the crib snugly on the sides (I can't get a finger width between it and the sides, and my books says it must be tighter than 2 fingers...) BUT it is about 4 inches too short. So, here is my question: Is an option cutting a similar piece of foam to snugly match up the end and covering the whole thing with a sheet ok, or absoltuly out the question? I can ask the manager about getting a longer one, but I suspect the problem is that the crib was shipped here from the US and the mattress is from Taiwan and it was the closest he could get to the size. (He did have the exact mearurements, so I know he tried) Do crib mattresses come in a standard size? Before I get dissmissed as bad mother of the year please note that I havn't placed any baby on the mattress in questiosn yet, and I am only presenting this as a possible option. I think the point is to have no gaps whatsoever anywhere that babies can fall into or roll into, but is there something I missed?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, crib mattresses usually do come in a standard size. (But, maybe the standard size is different in different countries.) That being said, it would probably be a huge hassle to return it.

If I were you, I would go with the make-shift thing. But, on a few conditions: if it fit very snuggly, if it was the same density (so that baby wouldn't sink down when at the part of the mattress), and if the homemade part was at the bottom of the crib, and you laid your baby at the top of the crib.

You actually probably don't even need to worry too much about this quite yet; the baby won't move too terribly much around the crib until at least 4 months old, I would say. Also, by the time you put a crib mattress pad & a crib sheet over your homemade part, you will probably hardly be able to tell where the seam is.

Also, in my opinion, I think the crib bumper pads are probably more dangerous than adding a piece to your mattress. I know most people use them, but, to decrease your risk of SIDS, you're not supposed to use them at all.

If it makes you feel any better, I made my own "mattress" for our baby basket. It worked out fine.

So, that's my opinion in a nutshell. Good luck with your decision!

Greg said...

That crib set MUST be made in Taiwan. Cheap crap!

If I was you, Nevada, I'd be a woman. And after I got over that, I'd use my feminine wiles to charm Chester (what that looks like is entirely up to your imagination) into building a wood box that fit snugly into that gap. Then, I'd get him to fasten it to the crib with screws. Then, place your girl's favourite couple stuffed animals on it. Awww, I can just see the cuteness from waaay over on this side of the pond.

Also, burn those bumper pads; they're like wearing a seatbelt on a boat!

Allison said...

Hey Greg: I use bumper pads in Jared's crib and he's still alive! Seriously, Nevada, it's up to you what you do. Yes, "they" don't recommend bumper pads, to reduce SIDS, but Jared has never really moved much in his sleep, and he's 5 1/2 months. Personally, if he started shoving himself tightly into a corner (unlikely for him) I would take them off. And I will when he starts to stand in his crib, so he doesn't use them to escape.
As for the mattress, yeah I wouldn't worry about it. Again, unless you have a super active child, which is highly unlikely until at least 4 months, like Jess said, there is no worry. And again, you might have a girl like Jared, who doesn't really move. I would not hesitate to put Jared in a crib like yours, even with his head on that end. You just have to make sure that it is a TIGHT fit and then mattress cover and sheet it. No worries.
I personally think that the biggest risks for SIDS are non-breast fed babies, parents who smoke, and (sorry Jess) co-sleeping. Maybe tummy sleeping too, although if you have a colicky baby, I would recommend trying tummy sleeping. It's worked wonders for many a parent. All other risks are only risks if you are exposing them to the major ones. In my opinion. Just do what you feel is best for your baby, and don't let anyone feel guilty for your decision. You are a smart and logical woman and you love your baby. You would not do anything that would obviously hurt your child.

Trina said...

Hi Vada,
Dont worry about the matress not fitting the crib exactly, it really won't matter. People have said "unless you have a very active child" but unless your baby is crawling and rolling all over the crib, nothing will happen. Also for bumper pads, my personal opinion is that they are just to look nice. I know the theory is that if the baby rolls, then it wont hurt as much if it hits its head on the side of the crib, but realisitcally, how thick are the pads, there is nothing to them. Also now pads are made different than they were before, and the ones I had went all the way under the matress to the sides. I really don't think that there is anything wrong with them, again unless your baby is rolling and can get their arms, legs, or head stuck in them, that is really the only way they will get hurt. What really blows my mind is that they say that all these kinds of things are bad, but they make toys that attach to the side of the crib, which in my opinion is way worse for baby than anything else. They are more dangerous as bumper pads, and parents use them to put their children to sleep, most have lights or music, which stimulate the child, and prevents sleep.
Seriously, you know what is right, and you will do what is best for baby, follow your heart and everthing will fall into place.
Love you
Trina

Greg said...

Hey, here's another idea: you could throw some plastic into that extra crib space and make a nice goldfish pond. If there's anything I know, babies LOVE goldfish! And plastic bags!

Anonymous said...

not worth the risk - we burried my best friends 5 month old baby due to suffication on bumper pads