Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bottle Advice

For all soon to be parents out there, here is something to consider:

When you are buying bottles and pumps do not commit to anyone brand name. I had heard lots of positive about Avent so I got the Avent pump, a tonne of Avent bottles, the different sizes of Avent nipple, the Avent sterilizer... And when I went back to work Gemma would NOT take that bottle for nothing. I had to run home at every break I had to feed her (three or four times a day) because she would not (could not) suck on that bottle. I borrowed a NUK bottle from a co worker and ...SUCCESS! And this co worker said that her baby has switched three times; she liked NUK at first, then at three motnhs changed, and then changed again at about 6 months. So my advice is to buy one or two of a few types of bottles, or borrow, until you know what your baby will like. The positive of having so many Avent bottles is that I store my milk in them in the freezer with those special caps and then don't need to mess with the special milk freezer bags. (which are super expensive here) I defrost a bottle, pour it into the NUK bottle and away we go. And because I have the Avent pump (which works great) I can only pump into Avent bottles. So watch out for that, too.

Gemma is still exclusively on breast milk, I wake her up at 7 and feed her before work, she has one bottle in the morning with Chris, I go home at noon and feed and then at 3:00 when school is done. And then at 5:30ish, 7:30ish, 10ish, 12ish, 3am ish...5am ish....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go with the nursing! It's very difficult to nurse and work, despite what people say, so good job!

I used to freeze breast milk in those Playtex (or no name) bottle liners (you can buy just the box of liners -- you don't have to buy the bottles). I just double-bagged it, and closed it with 2 twist ties. Do you have bottle liners out there?

Shel said...

WAY TO GO NEVADA!!

Gemma feeds so much at night b/c she eats less during the day, so it's very normal! Be proud, it's not an easy feat to pump all the time! Hang in there!

LJE said...

good information to know...i will tuck that away in my mind for a few months from now...

Blog Archive