Saturday, December 16, 2006

The best and the worst...

We've had our best moment and worst moment so far. Good new first?

I had just put her down in her little bed (on the floor beside our bed) and was getting myself ready for bed when she sort of whimpered out. So I bent down over her and held her little hands and and whispered to her and she breathed a huge sigh and fell right back asleep. It was so amazing to comfort her like that, I just felt like Yes, I can take care of you and you can trust me.

Contrast that with Day 17; the worst day ever. She was fussing and fussing, and really cried for the first time; the full on wailing, back arched, voice rasping cry. It was totally heartbreaking. She fussed/cried for a few hours and finally we gave her some ovol and she went right tos sleep (dummy parents; why didn't we think of that hours before?)

Wow, parenthood. This blog post has been sitting on the screen of my computer for two days. So much has happenend since then...

1) Gemma has a belly button! The stump fell off, and there is a nice little hole in its place. Well, it is a little oozy still but cute none the less.

2) We went to Ikea today to do some shopping for Chris. She was getting tired of being in her carrier so I had her laying in a shopping cart, which she loved. Well, everyone stared and smiled at her, just fascinated to see such a little baby out and about. Then I had to change her, so we were in the bathroom in a special changing room but I didn't have the door closed becuase Audrey and Ali were coming in and out helping me. Well, by the time we were done we had an audience of 5 or 6 all in that little room, all oogling her and cooing, asking how old she was and marveling at her young age (san-ga lee bi = 3 weeks) "How can you be out if she is only 3 weeks?" was one question, because in Chinese tradition mothers and babies do a staying in period of one month after the baby is born, and don't go out. Mostly they were saying how cute she was and just admiring her, but really, would you crowd into a changing room and spectate a diaper change of a complete stranger?

Tomorrow we need to go get Canadian and get her passport. More later.

1 comment:

becky said...

I love reading about you guys and your adventures with your little one. She is SUCH a cutie! It's starting to get a little surreal, realizing that in a month or so, I'll have one of my own.

Take care over there!

Blog Archive