Monday, April 11, 2011

If I wear make up...

I pray for wisdom on nights when I hear this:

Gemma is putting on makeup in the bathroom. She is smiling. I ask her, "What are you doing?" She says, "There's a boy at school who likes me. If I put on makeup, then he will like me even more!!!"

I will also point out that this is at night, before bed. Because he daddy won't let her wear makeup to school, so she was trying to do it at night before.


We've been talking (I've been trying to talk) a lot about being beautiful on the inside, how Esther was beautiful but used her beauty for good, a wife of noble character.... ANYTHING I can think of to de-rail that train!

2 comments:

Brenda BE said...

How old is she again??

Allison said...

It's amazing how that thing is somewhat built into girls. Ayda does a similar thing: she'll join me in "putting on" her make up and/or put a necklace on and proclaim: "Now I'm beautiful, Mommy!" To my recollection, I have never made any comment about make up or jewelry equating beauty. I'll say that I'm putting on my make up, but nothing more. I am constantly telling her, "Ayda, you are beautiful without make up!"