Wednesday, May 28, 2008

More doctor visits...

We had the most frustrating day, good thing I had Gemma to keep me calm!

We rushed to the dr. afterschool for her last vaccination (for this year, anyway). The way the system is here, you show up, wait to see the dr., he checks the baby makes sure she is healthy enough to receive the vaccination, other health check stuff (height, weight, routine questions, etc...) prints you off a piece of paper which you then take down to the cashier, pay, then go back up and get the shot. So we wait to see the dr., go downstairs to pay and DOH! I am short like 125NT. (Less than 5 dollars!) I couldn't believe the vaccination was so much, it was like 2000NT. Anyway, I was super TO because its a 20 minutes MRT ride, wait to see the dr., just to find out we can't get the shot today anyway. So we go home. 2 hours down the tube. AND now I have to go back next Wednesday. Also, Gemma has developed a heart murmur. He noticed it last time and heard it again this time and so wants her to have an echocardiogram. Of course, the heart guy only works Thursdays. So now we will go next Wed. and Thursday. I had booked a babysitter for 5, well we were still at the hospital at 5 so I had to call Andy to go find the babysitter and tell her to wait for us at school (Chris was playing b-ball downstairs where there is no cell phone reception) and anyway, the day turned out OK. Gemma and I had fun together, she shared her cookies with the kids in the waiting room, and was just very cute. She was wearing her Laker's jersey and so people thought she was a boy.

She's learning a lot lately. Like Chris said she started doing some of the baby signs off of her baby einstein video, just from watching it. She said 'giraffe' when she saw a giraffe at the dr. office, and we haven't really practiced giraffe. She sees dogs and fish all over the place and points them out. She brings us lots of joy, that little one, and I can't wait for all of you to meet her!!

Also, she is hardly gaining weight, and the dr. is a bit concerned. She's gained like .2 kg since her last checkup, and only .2 the checkup before that. Any ideas for HEALTHY snacks? I don't want to just fatten her up with sugar and junk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my little baby
Let BABA feed you.
Perogies, sour cream and lots, lots of delicious food. You will grow.

Anonymous said...

I bought a big box of 'Nature Valley' trail mix bars at Costco (the soft bars). I eat the almonds but Atticus really enjoys the rest of it and they're really portable and have lots of good things inside. I also got the big box of 'Goldfish' crackers as an alternative to cookies. I also make muffins that have frozen cranberries, fresh apple, raisins and cinnamon that go over really well. I also give him 240ml 2x/day of 1-3 year old formula (in addition to whatever milk he has during the day), maybe try supplementing with formula.

Eating healthy food and not gaining weight is far better than eating junk and gaining weight. I'd say, as long as your offering her good healthy choices regularly throughout the day (especially if she eats small amounts at a time) then you shouldn't worry.

Allison said...

I'm assuming you give her whole milk, right? Some snacks we use are raisins, dried cranberries, fruit leather, Goldfish (good ol' Goldfish, right Heather?!), lots of berries when in season, fruit, muffins, ummm....Jared's such a good eater, we never had to worry. He actually only really snacks when we are with other kids who are snacking...he just mostly eats good meals. Oh, yogurt is a good snack, too! Hope this helps. I would hate for Gemma to have to still ride rear-facing when you guys are back.

Anonymous said...

I noticed when my kids were that age that they would grow in spurts. There would be times when tjey would hardly eat anything and then they would be voracious eaters. They usually grow 'out'-get a bit soft(pudgy)-looking and then shoot up taller and be thinnish again. Don't worry.