Wednesday, October 17, 2007

New Video

There is a new video on Chris' facebook.

It's been such a crazy week, practicing afterschool for my TV thing, plus events every day after the afterschool practice. Poor Gemma has been drug all over the place and not spent an evening at home. This isn't so bad, she's pretty good about travelling, but its teh missing her early evening nap that is killing her. She usually naps around 5-5:30 for 40 minutes or so. Except not this week, so then all evening she is tired and clingy. Her current bed time is 9pm, which is great beacuse I have an hour of quiet time, and she sleeps in till 10 or so. (Which may make you think Chris is spoiled but he is often up doing his classwork/church work late at night. Those are his office hours) Anyway, she is getting better at sleeping on her own, she even wiggled out of my arms to be in her bed and went right to sleep on her own. I think she is getting that can choose to go to sleep when she feels tired. (In case you are wondering, we totally spoiled her and let her fall asleep in our arms form day 1. And now thats how she has to fall asleep; the books are true!) Which leads to another topic...

I always said I would never let my baby sleep with us. In fact, I used to make fun of those people. But now I do it. A) I am so tired, and when she gets up two or three times a night its so much easier to pick her up, bring her to bed and nurse her laying down B) She often doesn't need to nurse when she is in bed with us; you can pat her when she starts getting fussy and she goes back to sleep without a full wake up C) She is so darn cute and sweet, I love her little baby hands beside my face, and her little milky breath and her teeny body. I just lean my face close to her and bretah in her baby goodness. To our credit, she does go to sleep in her own bed, and sleeps there until 1 or 2. But after that middle of the night wake up, to bed with us she comes and there she stays until the morning.

Thats how we roll at the McKenzie house:)

4 comments:

Shel said...

LOL - the list of "We'll never do that" is a mile long here - and most of them have been broken.

Just a great lesson on not judging 'til you've been there I guess!

mlafayette said...

I can totally relate to your story. I had visions of Dolan sleeping in the bassinet beside the bed for the first two months and then into the crib he goes... Well... That didn't happen. He sleeps with us 95% of the time. I really think that children will go to sleep on their own when they are ready for it.

The most important thing I learned as a new parent is to just do what is best for each individual child. If that means nursing to sleep then that is what should be done. Dolan is so happy and content and I believe that is because I am meeting all his needs. I read some great information from Dr. Sears about Attachment Parenting that discusses breastfeeding and co-sleeping. He has many great books and a website also.

Michelle

Trina said...

We did that with Matthew too, just so I could sleep. He would cry all night (from the colic) but as soon as he was in his dads arms, he would sleep. I don't see a problem with it when they are young, the only problem comes when you have to break the habit. I have heard of kids 7, 8, even 9 years old, and they still get up and have to sleep with their parents. My only advice is to make sure that doesn't happen, you don't want to share your bed with a kid that old, and if you decide that you want another baby, it makes it really hard to make one with your other child in bed with you.

Allison said...

Are you looking for advice? Because I don't want to give it unsolicited. I will say that while Jared has slept with us the last couple of hours in the night on occassion, I am not really a believer in attachment parenting, and we still have a child who sleeps wonderfully through the night! (After struggling with our beliefs vs. convenience, not to mention loving to curl up with him!! We certainly had to teach him how to sleep on his own.) If you want my personal opinion/advice, let me know. I can email you or leave it on a comment.